Monday, September 08, 2014

Wan ton soup - revisited




I made Wan Ton soup today. It was a spur of the moment thing since I was already out and about and I didn't have the kids with me. It's hubby last day of leave and I used this opportunity to get myself a pedicure while I still can. Finally the first time I have nice toes and summer is almost over!

I managed to make a run to the Asian store and decided to try and make Wan Ton soup. I must admit that I haven't been very successful in making these dumplings because I always found the dumplings tasted bland. And I could never get my soup to taste authentic.

As a result, hubby never developed a liking for this soup dish and he preferred to have his dumplings fried - doh!

This time though, it was a HUGE success! I decided to make my own chicken soup from scratch and use the chicken broth to cook the dumplings and Chinese vegetables.

Hubby is finally a convert for Wan Ton soup! In fact he liked it so much, he said I can cook this anytime and he doesn't need anything else except the Wan Ton soup and Char Siew barbecued pork. 

I found that the noodles need improvement though! I think I'm going to ask my cousin in Singapore, whose father is an owner of a Wan Ton noodle store in People's Park what their secret recipe is! 



My recipe for chicken stock:-

- 1 whole Chicken
- 1 Onion, quartered
- 1 Tomato, quartered
- Handful of dried Scallops

1. Boil some water in a pot big enough to fit the chicken. Do NOT add too much water. You would rather have less stock and a stronger taste.

2. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium and lower the chicken into the water.

3. Add onion, tomato and dried scallops. Leave the stock to simmer over low to medium heat for about an hour. The longer the better.

4. Remove the chicken from the stock, sieve the stock and its ready to use.

Note: I chose to make my own chicken soup because I wasn't happy with the mushroom soup stock from the original recipe. 

Wan Ton recipe:- 

To make the dumplings, I followed the recipe from RasaMalaysia here. They tasted SUPERB! 

Gravy for noodles:- 

As I mentioned, I'm not satisfied with the taste of the gravy for the noodles. So I can't really recommend using the same recipe for the noodles. If you have any good recipes, please share!

4 comments:

Bel said...

looks good Pris! blogged bat it before too, not sure if its similar? http://www.belindagoeslondon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/in-mood-for-some-mean-and-fired-up.html

Pris said...

Hey Bel!

Thanks for linking your recipe! I remember reading your post and salivating back then already!

I do think what I lacked in my noodle was the ginger / garlic oil. I didn't have time to make anything else anymore cos gabriel was complaining (ie. screaming) to be fed, so I told Stephan to prepare the gravy for the noodle without the garlic oil. BUMMER! I should have just followed the recipe!

Bern said...

the wantons look really pro babe, u shd think abt opening up a little sg eatery as a side business!

Belinda G. said...

nvm always can try again since Stephan is a convert now :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails